What are the different box sizes for moving
Choosing the right type of box for your move is important. If you choose a box that is too small, you will end up having to make multiple trips to the store or deal with damaged items. If you choose a box that is too big, you will end up wasting space and money. There are a few different factors to consider when deciding what are the different box sizes for moving. In this article, Master Moving Guide will show you the different types of boxes available for your move. We will show you where to find the best boxes and also help you decide which boxes are right for you. Finally, we will teach you how to use them properly and avoid damage to your items.
What are the different box sizes for moving?
When it comes to moving, there are a variety of different box sizes that you can choose from. Here is a breakdown of the most common box sizes that you can find for your moving day:
- Small boxes: These are typically 1.5 cubic feet in size and are great for smaller items such as books, toys, and linens.
- Medium boxes: These are usually 3 cubic feet in size and can hold larger items such as appliances and electronics.
- Large boxes: These are typically 5-6 cubic feet in size and can accommodate larger items such as furniture and appliances.
- Extra large boxes: These are typically 8-10 cubic feet in size and can accommodate very large items such as mattresses and couches.
- Flat moving boxes: These boxes are 1-2 cubic feet in size and are used for clothes, kitchenware, garage, basement, and office supplies
Unconventional types of boxes that can be useful in certain situations
Those are the standard boxes that all professional residential movers offer. However, there are also boxes that are made for items that simply cannot fit into standard square-shaped boxes. Here are the other types of boxes that can be found on the market:
- Wardrobe boxes – boxes that are made for moving clothes without having to fold them.
- Telescope boxes – boxes made for moving artwork.
- Flat panel TV boxes or mirror boxes – boxes suitable for flat TV screens, mirrors, and paintings. You can find expandable versions of this box as well.
- Dish packs – Boxes made for moving glasses, plates, and similar fragile items.
- Wine boxes – These boxes are perfect for moving your wine collection safely.
- Bankers boxes – These boxes are intended for packing office paperwork.
- Lamp boxes – Boxes made for moving floor lamps.
- Lightbulb moving boxes – These are rare but there are places where you can find boxes that will help you relocate lightbulbs.
- Insulated shipping boxes – If you didn’t manage to use your frozen food before the move, you can move it in insulated shipping boxes.
- Mattress boxes – There are many ways to transport your mattress, but still, using the mattress box offers the best protection from damage and dirt.
- Book boxes – There are particularly strong but small boxes that are intended for relocating small and heavy items like books.
- Bike boxes – If you have a bicycle to relocate, you can find cardboard and plastic bike boxes of various sizes that will keep your bicycle safe during transport.
- Flower delivery boxes – Flower deliveries use special boxes for shipping flowers. Still, you can use them as well if you need to move flowers and protect them from damage.
- Wooden crates – Wooden crates are usually custom-made for relocating oversized and heavy items that need extra protection.
- Plastic containers with lids – The best type of boxes that provide the best protection and they are eco-friendly. The only problem is their cost. There are moving companies that rent them, though.
- Plastic bins without lids – simple plastic bins that can be used for a variety of moving situations. They are sturdy, durable, a can carry a lot of weight.
As you can see, you can find many different box sizes for moving. Naturally, this is necessary since there are so many different types of items that need to be packed for the move. Besides sizes and shapes, there is one more thing that you need to pay attention to when acquiring moving boxes. And that is durability. Moving boxes come in three different durability types. Here are the options that you can find on the market:
- Single wall boxes – most commonly used boxes
- Double wall boxes – durable boxes that professional packers use
- Triple wall boxes – the most durable type of boxes that provide superior protection but are, unfortunately, rarely used in common moving situations
Most moving boxes that you will find at stores are single-wall corrugated boxes that, naturally, provide the least amount of protection. On the other side of the spectrum, there are triple wall boxes, that you will rarely find on shelves.
What about free moving boxes?
If you spent some time researching different box sizes for moving online, surely you’ve come across advice about using free moving boxes as an affordable alternative. Now, of course that free moving boxes that you can find at grocery stores can be a great solution when you are moving on a budget, but most of the time, you will find that these boxes are not sturdy enough to provide any real protection to your items. Moreover, oftentimes, these boxes will break under moderate weight – weight that new boxes of the same strength should be able to withstand.
Where to find the best moving boxes for your move?
Finding good moving boxes is not difficult. If you want your boxes to be delivered to your doorstep, you can order them online from Amazon. On the other hand, if you want to buy cheap moving boxes in person, you can find them at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, Office Depot, Staples, or Uline, for example. We already mentioned that you can find free moving boxes as well. Ask in your local grocery store, liquor store, bookstore, or your local shopping mall. Most of them will be glad to get rid of the boxes for free. Finally, the best option is to check whether your moving company provides packing supplies. Most moving companies that offer packing services also sell packing supplies of the highest quality.
How to measure a box for moving
When you are planning a move, it is important to know how to measure a box in order to be able to calculate the size of the moving truck that you will need. There are a few different ways local movers do this, and the method you choose will depend on the type of box you are using.
If you are using a standard cardboard box, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the box. To do this, simply use a tape measure to find the dimensions of the box. Once you have these measurements, you can determine the cubic footage of the box by multiplying the length by the width by the height. If you are using a specialty box, such as a wardrobe box or mirror box, you will need to refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for measuring.
What are the most common mistakes people make when packing a box for moving?
When it comes to packing boxes for a move without the help of professional long distance movers there are some common mistakes that people make. Here are a few of the most common:
Many mistakes can happen if you don’t choose the right box for your move.
- Not using the right size box: This is one of the most common mistakes people make when packing for a move. They either use boxes that are too small or too large for their items. This can lead to damaged items or wasted space.
- Overpacking: Another mistake people make is packing too many items into one box. This can make the box too heavy to lift and can cause items to break.
- Not packing properly: if you do not pack your boxes securely, your items will shift during transport. Failure to do this can result in damage to your belongings.
- Forgetting to label: Don’t forget to label your boxes! This will help you keep track of what’s inside and where it needs to go in your new home.
How to use your moving boxes properly?
When deciding what size box to use, it is important to consider the weight and fragility of your items. Heavy or delicate items should not be placed in large boxes, as they could damage the items or cause the box to break open during transport. Contrariwise, you can pack extremely light items efficiently in larger boxes. For most people, a combination of small, medium, and large boxes will be necessary to pack all of their belongings safely.
How to avoid damaging your belongings when packing a box for moving
When packing a box for moving, it is important to avoid damaging your belongings. The first thing that you need to do is choose the right size boxes for the items you have. There are a variety of box sizes available. And professional movers can help you choose the correct size in order to make sure your items are safe and secure during the move. Here are a few packing tips that might be of use:
- Use additional packing materials that will protect your belongings. Bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts are good options.
- Make sure the box is the right size for your belongings. If the box is too big, your belongings will be able to move around and could get damaged. If the box is too small, your belongings could suffer damage.
- You need to make sure that you do not overweigh your moving boxes
- Do not leave empty spaces inside the boxes so your items cannot move and damage during transport. Fill the empty space in the box with packing material such as bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts or crumpled packing paper. This will prevent your belongings from moving around during transport.
- When packing fragile items wrap each item in bubble wrap before you place it inside the box
- If you are not sure whether your box can withstand the weight, strengthen it with packing tape from the bottom
- Seal the box securely with waterproof packing tape (if you can find it) so that it doesn’t come open during the move and damage your belongings.
- Label each box visibly, especially those containing fragile items
- Check the weather forecast regularly before the move, if you expect precipitation wrap your cardboard boxes in plastic wrap
Choosing the right type of moving box for your move is more important than you think
When choosing what are the different box sizes for moving, there is a variety of things to consider. Smaller items can obviously go in smaller boxes. But you’ll also want to take into account how much your items weigh how much stuff you have, and whether or not you need extra space for fragile items. In most cases, it’s better to be on the side of caution and choose medium-sized boxes. But you will also need to have a few large ones as well.