State-regulated paperwork you need to change when moving

Once you hire a moving company and schedule your moving day, you’ll start your relocation journey. This journey will end with you moving into your new home. However, even if you hire the best residential movers you’ll still need to do some of the work yourself. Namely, you’ll need to take care of a lot of state-regulated paperwork. You’ll be changing your address, your place of employment and maybe more. So, you’ll need to let the right people know.

It’s never too early to start thinking about your paperwork. You should get all your papers ready right after you prepare your moving budget. This would be too early for you to submit any requests for an address change, but you can at least get all your documentation ready and in one place. In some cases, you’ll need to report your change of address long before you actually move there.

State-regulated paperwork for your household

When you’re relocating, the first thing you’ll need to do would be to change your address with the USPS. This will make contacting a lot of other government agencies easier. Once you change your living address with the post office, you can get to other items.

A lot of envelopes which could get lost if you don't notify the post about your address change.
Get all your mail sent to your new address.

Drivers’ license

After changing your address with the post, you’ll need to update your driver’s license. Find out which agency handles this in your state – it’s usually called DMV. Then, you’ll need to ask them which state-regulated paperwork you’ll need to get in order to change your address. For some states, this information will be available online. In these cases, you might be able to change your info immediately. For other states, you’ll have to submit your documentation personally.

IRS documentation

Fill out the IRS Form 8822 online and report your change of address. If you’re moving for a job or relocating your business, you can get special benefits. If this is the case, fill out Form 3903 and deduct your relocation from your taxes. You’ll have to meet certain criteria in order to get these tax benefits. Inform yourself about this before you start the process of moving. It could save you a lot of time if you can have all the documentation ready. Besides, you probably won’t have enough time to chase paperwork during the process of relocation.

A person writing a reminder to notify a tax agency about his move. - State-regulated paperwork must be filed on time.
Notifying your tax agency about your move is crucial.

Voter registration

Once you change your address with the post office this will be easy. You’ll just need to call the voter registration agency in your new city and notify them. For most of the states, you can do this online as well. Since voting is a way to influence the course that your country takes, you should definitely submit your state-regulated paperwork and change your voter address.

Other government agencies

Are you receiving some medical or social security benefits from the government? If you are, you’ll need to let those agencies know of your move. They’ll need to know where you are if they’re to send you more support. Again, in some cases, you’ll need to register with an agency in the town you move to.

Know where you’re moving

Before you find the best movers for your relocation needs you should get information about the state you’re moving to. Some of them might do things differently or they require some additional paperwork. For others, you can probably finish some of the registration online. So, in order to avoid any nasty surprises check up which documentation you’ll need for a specific state.

Make sure you know where you're moving before you submit your state-regulated paperwork.
Some states have different laws than others.


In addition to a lot of state and federal documentation you’ll need to change, there’ll be many other institutions which will need to know you’ve moved. For most of them, it won’t be crucial to report that you’ve moved since you can always get there their services from a different location. Others, however, you’ll definitely have to inform of your address change.

  • Banks and credit card companies – you’ll need to notify them of the change in your billing address if you want to keep using their services. However, even if you don’t want to give them your new place of living, you’ll at least need to cancel your new address. Even though your financial information isn’t exactly state-regulated paperwork, it’s still very important t keep it private.
  • Insurance – your home insurance might cover your belongings during the move. Besides, your insurance is rarely tied to one state, so you can keep using their services. In addition to this, you could notify your car insurance company that you’re moving and check if your plan covers that.
  • Cell phone provider – even though it’s not extremely important, you should still notify them. It will only take a minute to change your place fo living in their system.
  • Cable/internet – it might be good to continue using the services of your old provider. You can earn special loyalty privileges. Or, if you’re switching providers, make sure you discontinue their services at your old place.

As you can see, there’s a lot fo state-regulated paperwork you’ll need to change before you relocate. So, instead of wasting time and energy chasing down documentation during your move, you should get it all before you decide to relocate. This way you’ll have plenty of time to submit your paperwork and participate in the moving! And we all know that plenty of time to finish your tasks means no stress! With all the time on your side, your relocation will be stress-free. And, before you know it, you’ll be enjoying yourself in your new home.

Latest Posts

Step 1 of 3

City You Are Moving From(Required)
City You Are Moving To(Required)