Moving is a process that requires a lot of planning. You will certainly face a dilemma should you move your house on your own, or hire residential movers. If you have the opportunity, let the professionals do the hard part for you. Hiring a moving service is always a good choice. It will save you a lot of trouble, time and nerves.
Benefits of Hiring Residential Movers
- Takes a lot of stress away – Moving is always a very stressful process. There are a lot of things to think about and a lot of things that can go wrong. Add to that packing all of your stuff, and planning every step of your relocation and you will have a nerve-wracking experience. Hiring residential movers will help you organize better and it will lift a great number of problems from your shoulders.
- Saves time – When you are moving on your own, it will take a lot of your time. You will need to make a detailed plan of your relocation, to pack your belongings, to load them into the truck, transport them to a new home, bring them into your house and unpacked them all. Also, if you are moving a lot of stuff, you may need to repeat everything several times. Just imagine how time-consuming this will be. Professional residential movers will do all of this much quicker, saving you precious time and maybe even cut moving costs.
- It’s more secure – Good and reliable moving companies provide insurance with their moving services. That ensures that in the case of the accident, your belongings will be protected.
- Saves your health – There are many things to go wrong when you are moving your heavy items. Especially if you have no experience in that area.
You could easily drop something on your foot, you could aggravate an old injury, you could fall, you could hurt your spine.
Professional residential movers are trained to handle heavy furniture, and they will safely transport yours belongs. In that way, you are taking away the unnecessary risk to your health. Also, the moving process will be going more smoothly, which is very beneficiary for your mental health.
How to find residential movers that you can trust
Once that you have decided to put your relocation in the professional hands of the moving company, you should find the right one. The most important thing is to find reliable residential movers. That’s a crucial step in avoiding moving scams.
Do your research
In order to find a moving company that you can trust, you have to do your research. Made a list of the best residential movers and check online for their customer testimonials, histories, references, insurance policy, experience, licenses.
Call the three companies that you like the most to do the in-house estimate. When you compare them, they should be very similar. The offer that is too cheap to be true usually is. Also, pay attention to additional moving costs and services of the movers.
In order to have a reputation as reliable, moving company has to have a lot of experience. You are trusting your belongings to strangers, so you should be sure that their knowledge and skills are at the highest level.
Hiring a company that has experience and proper training will make sure that your relocation will be problem-free.
Movers with experience will know how to deal with all kinds of challenges, specific requirements and unforeseen circumstances. They will also know which kind of your stuff will need special attention and how to handle it properly.
Insurance and licenses
The reliable residential movers must have a license number and insurance for your items. If they don’t, do not engage with them. In order to be reliable, the moving company has to be legal and willing to accept the responsibility for your belongings (in the form of insurance).
Speaking of insurance, research if your personal items would be covered during a move under your renters’ policy or homeowners’ policy. If they aren’t, you may want to seek supplemental moving insurance.
Level of professionalism
The residential movers should arrive to estimate your moving expenses on time, dressed in uniform. They should have good communication skills, treat you with respect and conduct themselves professionally. They should answer all of your questions. Professional moves will question you about all the important thing regarding your belongings and move dates.
If the movers act in this manner, you can be sure that you have chosen the right moving company that you can trust.
Transparency of the company
Moving service that is reliable will have no problem to give you important information about their business, such as:
- Full name of the company
- Company’s contact information – address, phone number, e-mail, web site address
- Names and contact information for references
- License numbers
- Booklet with a title “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move”, issued by the Department of Transportation (required by Federal law).
Before loading your items
As mentioned, hiring residential movers to relocate your home will save you a lot of time and decrease stress.
Still, you’ll have to have a good communication with your movers. You should inform them about any items that will need special attention (such as delicate or antique furniture) and warn them about any potential problems.
Be sure to get these things taken care of before movers arrive to transport your stuff:
- Is everything packed – double check if your belongings are packed, labeled, and ready to load into the moving truck.
- Your new home should be move-in ready – be sure that your new place is ready for receiving the items.
- Make an inventory and supervise loading and unloading of your items – if there is an issue, you can file a claim on the spot to address the situation.
- Take your valuables with you – your laptop, documents, jewelry, expensive piece of art etc. should be close to you, and not packed into boxes.
- Don’t forget something – when the loading has been completed, walk through your home to make sure everything has been loaded and nothing is left behind.