Professional advice for storing luxury items
When moving or downsizing, storing your luxury items is the right way to go. Having your items safely stored inside the storage unit is the best way to preserve all of your belongings. All you need to do is to choose the right unit in which you will store your items, and of course to prepare them adequately for weeks or months of storage. Luckily, storing luxury items has never been easier, as you have a wide variety of choices. The Master Moving Guide company can definitely help you find the right moving company, as well as finding the perfect storage unit that will fit your needs.
Before storing luxury items
Storing luxury items is a process. In order to keep your items in the best shape, and at the same time avoid common storing mistakes, there are a few steps that you should do before closing the door of the storage unit.
Make an inventory list
Make an inventory list of every single item that you want to store. This is extremely useful for several reasons. First of all, you will never forget about owning any item simply because they are in storage. Secondly, in case something goes missing you will notice it right away and you will be able to react. Our advice is that you keep one copy of the inventory list inside the storage unit, and another copy at a safe place in your home.
Take photos of the items
When it comes to storing luxury items, it is very important that they do not get damaged in any way. The easiest way to monitor the condition of your items is to take photos of every item from multiple angles. In this way, you will know whether the damage occurred before or after storing the item, and there is really no need for you to try and memorize every scratch. Also, in case those items do get damaged, the photos will be excellent evidence to use when filing a moving insurance claim if it comes to that.
Choose the right storage unit when storing luxury items
High-value items storage is not much different than regular items storage. However, it is very important that your storage unit has the following features:
- Climate-controlled – A climate-controlled storage unit is beneficial for the items, as the temperature is just right for avoiding any change in materials. Storing your books, instruments, furniture, electronic appliances, has never been easier, as you can rest assured, they will not change in the next few months.
- Safe – Before renting a storage unit, make sure to ask about the safety of the place. Are there any guards monitoring possible theft? Are other people storing valuable items as well? Listen to the recommendations of the storage staff.
Carefully clean and dry everything before storing luxury items
Before storing your valuable items, the best thing that you can do is to clean them thoroughly. However, you need to properly dry the items as well as otherwise you will have to deal with mold and mildew pretty soon.
Proper packing is also vital when it comes to storing valuable items
Pack the items carefully using the best packing supplies. However, it is also important to know how many packing supplies you need. High-quality moving boxes, bubble pack, packing paper, and moving blankets to protect the surface of the items that cannot fit inside the moving boxes. You need to have everything prepared before you start packing items. The process of packing is the same as it is when you are simply moving items, but there is one important difference. When packing luxurious items for storage, it is important to add another layer or two for protection. As the items will be stored in one place for a few weeks, moths, or even years, it is important to protect them from dust, insects, mold, etc.
If you are hiring movers to do this instead of you, make sure to ask them what is a binding estimate and whether they offer that kind of estimate. It is the safest way to get an accurate final price for moving services.
At the storage
When you have finished with all the above steps, it is time to move on to the storage facility. Here are the most important things you should pay attention to:
- Never leave the items directly on the floor – Storing luxury items is all about protecting them. So, never leave them directly on the floor. In case of insects, floods, or something else they will be damaged for sure. Instead, use palettes to cover the floor and place the items on top of them.
- The most valuable items should go towards the end of the storage unit – There are never enough of precaution measures, so leave the most valuable items toward the end of the unit and cover them with sheets.
- Install shelves – Put up shelves inside the storage unit so that you can have a better overview of your items. However, make sure that there is no possibility that one item falls over the items that are closer to the floor.
After storing luxury items
Storing luxury items is not finished after you have successfully stored your items. It is important that you visit the storage unit regularly. Go to the storage unit at least once a month, check the items for any loss or damage. It is a small obligation, but you will be able to sleep soundly. Remember that this all will pass soon. You will then be able to enjoy yourself in your new house really soon. Good luck!