How to pack and move large area rugs
Moving a rug is not really the first thing you think of when you plan your move. However, if you happen to like having rugs at your home, you’ll definitely want to bring those with you. It can be tricky to move large area rugs, especially if you have more than one, or you have a lot of other things to pack and prepare for the move. Hiring international movers can be extremely helpful in this situation as they can do a lot of things for you such as prepare, pack, move and unpack your belongings. But if this is your first time packing a large area rug yourself, here are a couple of tips for you.
Make sure to clean them before you move large area rugs
It is important that your rugs are clean before you actually pack them. You don’t want to carry all that dirt with you in your new home. So, when is the last time you cleaned your large carpet? If it wasn’t so recent, make sure to give them a good scrub. You can hire professional cleaners, or you can do it on your own. Just like self-moving has its pros and cons, this too can have its good and bad sides.
If you have decided to clean your rug you should first vacuum it thoroughly. The next step is to wash it. You need to have enough space to do this, especially if you have a large carpet. Choose a garage or even better, a backyard. If your carpet is not so delicate, you can use liquid soap and water to scrub it and then leave it in the sun to dry. However, if you have a rug made of sensitive materials you should be extra careful as some cleaning products can actually damage your carpet. Similar to moving on your own, cleaning your carpet can eventually cost you more than hiring a professional company.
Find the best way to pack your large area rug
Carpets come in different shapes and sizes. Some of them are easy to pack and move, while others can be difficult to handle. The best way to move your large area rugs is to roll them. Here is the way to do it:
- Determine the direction of the rug’s fibers- in order to have a tighter roll, you should pay attention to the direction of the fibers. Run your hands over them and feel it. You should roll your carpet in the direction of the majority of the fibers.
- Use a cotton sheet or acid-free paper– acid-free paper will help your rug stay dry, so you should use it, especially if you plan to store your carpet for long periods. Just lay the paper on the rug before you roll it. Be careful not to use plastic as it prevents the carpet from breathing, and it can attract insects that like humid places.
- Decide the best way to roll your rug– large area rugs can be difficult to move, so try to find the best way to do it. It can be difficult to roll it right away. You can fold your carpet into thirds, just grab one corner and fold it to the center of the rug. Do the same from the other side. Repeat the process again if it is possible. Stop if you hear any cracking and change the folding direction.
- Roll up the large area rug-now that you have finished the folding process, you can roll up your rug. You should roll it as tight as possible in order to prevent it from opening. You can even use a rod in order to have a straighter roll, which can be tricky, especially if you have to move a large area rug.
- Secure the rug with a string or rope– this step is important because it keeps your carpet in the same position. Tie three pieces of rope– one on the top, center, and the end of the rug.
Decide whether to book professional movers to help you move large area rugs
Deciding if you should hire movers or not can be a difficult decision. On one hand, you probably want to cut costs and save money. On the other side, the whole process of moving can be overwhelming and extremely tiring. There are many things to consider, so you should think about this. Be aware that there are many frauds on the market, so make sure to hire interstate movers without getting scammed. The good thing is that if you choose a good moving company, they will make your move as stress-free as possible. They can help you pack, move and unpack. However, you should make a list of your inventory beforehand and prepare some things in advance.
Measure your rug
Before you hire movers, you should measure your rug, so you know the dimensions and weight. Use a tape measure to note down the exact length and width. You can check the weight while holding the rug and standing on a scale. Simply subtract your own weight from the whole amount, and you will get the correct rug’s weight. This will help you when you book movers as you can tell them the exact packaging that you need.
Relocation is always a tiring process, and it takes a lot of your time and effort. Having to move big objects such as large area rugs can be quite difficult. It takes some preparation and planning ahead. You could see that there are many steps to follow when you want to pack your carpet. If you prefer hiring professional movers remember that they can help you a lot so learn about the moving process and make your decision now before it’s too late. And they are just one phone call away!