Moving is a hard and demanding task. If you’ve hired a moving service to make it easier, it is the best decision that you’ve made. Still, among the many questions, you may wonder should you and how much to tip movers. That is a tricky subject and the one that you should be prepared in advance. When you are preparing the moving budget, you should also remember to calculate the tip for the movers. Follow this guide and find out how much to tip your movers based on your specific relocation.
Why should you tip your movers?
Tipping in the moving business isn’t necessary, but it’s always a welcome gesture. Lifting heavy furniture and boxes is really hard work. If your movers do it with the friendly smile and trying to accommodate your every request then you should show them that you appreciate that in the form of the tip.
Moving crew that is doing the heavy lifting is not making a lot of money, to begin with. It is a demanding and very physical job that usually doesn’t play well in most of the moving companies. Still, movers don’t expect a tip, so it is always the nice surprise and is generally considered to be proper etiquette.
Of course, you should only tip the movers if you are satisfied with their service. If the moving crew is unfriendly or rude, then tipping them shouldn’t be an option. If you are satisfied with their work and the manner that they are treating you and your belongings, you should tip them.
Naturally, hiring reliable residential movers will make sure that your moving crew will conduct themselves professionally during the moving day. Reliable and reputable companies take better care of their employees, which means that there is a much bigger chance that your relocation goes without problems.
How much to tip movers?
The percent tipping that is a custom for other services is not the best way to calculate how much to tip movers. That way, if your moving is expensive, you will need to set aside a small fortune for the mover’s tip.
The best way to calculate how much to tip movers is how much time they spend on the job:
- For 4 hours move, then $10 tip per person is appropriate.
- With an 8 hours move, the tip should be $20 per person.
- When the moving crew works for 12 hours, then a tip of $40 is in order.
If you have a lot of heavy belongings or things that require special attention, that you should consider tipping the movers more. In that case, consider tipping them $4-$5/hour per mover if you are happy with the job that they have done.
Important tip: Always tip every mover individually. If you give all the tip to one mover to divide it between the crew, you don’t know if everybody will get an equal share. When you tip every member of the moving crew yourself, you will know that everybody has got its tip.
Factors to keep in mind when deciding how much to tip movers
Every relocation is different and has its own difficulties. It’s a very complex process, and there are many fraudulent companies on the market. Finding and hiring a reliable moving company will help you avoid moving scams and it will make your move so much easier.
When you find the movers that you like, it should be a good thing to set aside a tip for the moving crew. That you will give them if they provide good service, of course. Besides the work hours, there are other considerations that might influence how much to tip movers:
- The complexity of relocation – Ask yourself how difficult the moving process will be. How many stairs or levels your home has, how much heavy and bulky items there are, how much does your household weights? Are there any complications that may slow the movers? All of those things should be taken into consideration when deciding how much to tip movers.
- Quality of service – This is the main thing to consider when you deciding do you need to tip your movers and how much. Are the movers show up on time? Were they considerate and professional? Did they talk to you with respect or they were rude? Did they handle your items with care? Those are all the questions that you have to ask yourself.
- Final moving cost – if there were some unforeseen expenses, that will have an impact on how much to tip movers. If they didn’t manage to fit your possessions into one truck, and you have to pay additional costs for another one then you should really reconsider if you want to tip them.
How to treat your movers
As said before, moving is a hard and physical job that requires a lot of energy. Be a good host and prepare refreshments for the moving crew.
That doesn’t have to be anything special. Bottled water and coffee or tea will suffice.
If the moving process is longer than 4 hours, you should provide some food for your movers.
Sandwiches or pizza is always the best move. It’s a cheap and delicious snack that will show your movers that you appreciate their work.
In addition to tipping your movers, there is also another way to show your movers that you are happy with their work.
That is to compliment workers to their employer.
Report a job well done to the supervisor or moving company, naming specific people who took extra care in helping to make your move go smoothly.
In the end, when deciding on how much to tip movers, try to put yourself in their shoes.
Ask yourself how big of a tip will you expect for that specific job and the necessary effort that requires.
Seeing things from the perspective of the movers is the best way to determine how much to tip movers.