Being an owner of a gun safe comes with certain responsibilities. One of them is moving it safely when it comes the time for relocation. As you probably already know, gun safes are notoriously heavy and difficult to move. Hence, you will need all the help you can get. Luckily for you, there are professional moving and storage companies specialized for this type of items. Here are some tips for gun safe moving that will make it easier for you.
Preparation, preparation, preparation
Before gun safe moving, remove anything that doesn’t need to be inside the safe, in order to make it as light as possible. This means that anything that can be put in a separate box, for now, you should take out of it.
- Make sure to cover walls, door openings, furniture, and important items with scratch resistant material. Protect everything that the safe will pass by in your home.
- Then, clear the path with which the safe will travel to an extra foot on each side, if possible. Keep in mind that a bit of wobbling and curving will likely occur during transport. You don’t want anything to be struck by the safe.
- If there are any steps leading from the front door to the truck you will load, get a plank of wood or other solid material to act as a ramp. If this is not possible, you will need a couple of extra people on the lower side as you move the safe down the step.
Get the proper equipment
- If you don’t have one, you should rent a strong dolly.
- Purchase some worker gloves.
- Get some secure straps.
- You will also need a big, sturdy truck.
It is really important to have good equipment for gun safe moving, so don’t cut corners when it comes to gathering them. Heavy-duty moving requires heavy-duty equipment.
Secure your gun safe before you move it
Make sure you use those straps you purchased for securing your safe gun. They will help you keep your gun safe from rolling off the dolly while you are transporting it from your house to the vehicle, as well as securing the gun safe during transport.
Loading into the truck
While moving a safe gun, make sure you park the moving truck with the rear facing either the sidewalk or driveway that you will be approaching from. Then, lower the ramp and clear the path to the truck. For larger safes, consider hiring professionals for trouble-free military move. Whether you have a collection of military guns or a private collection, they will know how to help you in the best possible way. If you want to do it yourself, you will need at least help from friends. This task requires a group, not two or four hands. Provide your team with worker gloves if they don’t already have some. And some pizza and beer always help to get everyone in a better mood and creates a good atmosphere.
- Place the entire team of movers or your friends at the bottom of the ramp leading into the back of the truck.
- Everyone should position themselves comfortable behind the safe. The, tie the truck straps around the safe and have one person stand in front of the safe and pull while everyone else pushes. And although pulling won’t be very effective, the main benefit here is that this person will act as a sort of guide to ensure the safe doesn’t derail or fall off the dolly.
- Finally, once you start pushing the safe up the ramp, don’t stop until you load it! You should take advantage of the moment here. So, just gather your strength and just keep pushing. By the time you reach the top of the ramp, you will use momentum to easily move the gun safe into the desired position inside the truck.
Gun safe moving – why opt for professionals?
As you can see gun safe moving is a bit different than moving regular cargo. And although your friends accept to help, chances are they will regret it somewhere between your house and a truck. Because besides the proper equipment, this task requires certain techniques, skills and a lot of strength. Hence, if you want to be on the safe side, better go with a professional moving company.
Get a quote and give it some thought
If this seems like quite a challenge to you, it’s time for the big decision. So, call moving professionals and ask for a moving quote for gan safe moving only or your entire household if you are interested. Most noteworthy, professional movers have experience in moving large and heavy items, as well as navigating all potential obstacles, such as challenging stairs and doorways. Hiring professionals is always a smart idea. Instead of trying to pull off complicated, possibly dangerous tasks yourself, such as moving a gun safe, you will have experts by your side to perform it from beginning till the end.
Also, you won’t have to purchase the equipment such as a dolly, because professional movers will bring their own. Imagine just how much money, time and nerves will that save.
Not to mention all the injuries that you and your friends could experience during this type of move. A gun safe is extremely heavy and if it fell on someone’s foot or worse, it could be fatal.
Plan where it goes
Now you have an idea of how to move a gun safe. The process is tough but with reliable movers by your side and a good attitude, it can be a piece of cake. One more thing to keep in mind is to identify in advance the best location for the safe in your new home. Place it in the garage or a room where it will not need to be moved ever again. We hope your gun safe moving will go smoothly, good luck!