Eco-friendly packing solutions to consider
Moving and packing can be a stressful process. However, in all that mess we are simply forgetting how it can be harmful to the environment. Have you ever thought that it was possible to do eco-friendly relocation? If you have, our moving company prepared just for you eco-friendly packing solutions you should consider. There is always something you can do to make your move less harmful to the environment. If you are interested in this subject you have come to the right place. We promise you that this article will help you have an eco-friendly move.
Eco-friendly packing solutions to consider: easy tips and tricks
When organizing eco-friendly moves the first thing you need to do is find yourself some moving companies who understand your needs. We recommend you contact the reputable local movers who specialized in the eco-friendly move. There are some more thing you can do before your moving day:
- Organize a yard sale. The first thing you need to do is to declutter your home. You want to pack only items you will use in the future. Selling belongings you do not use will be the first step towards the eco-friendly move. Not only you will declutter your garage, basement, or attic, you will also make some extra money.
- Donate. There are defiantly some clothes you haven’t worn for a long time. If you are not planning to keep them you should donate them. There are people who will appreciate your old clothes. Therefore find a charity and make a donation!
- Use eco-friendly alternatives to pack. This means you should not use plastic materials including bubble wrap. Instead, you can protect your belongings with towels and old newspaper sheets. If you think about it it is a good way to make sure you packed towels and your fragile belongings will be protected at the same time.
- Use recyclable moving supplies. You should ask your friends and family to give you their old moving boxes. Moreover, there are a lot of advantages to using reusable packing bins, you will have somewhere to pack your belongings and at the same time be aware of the environment.
- Recycle moving supplies once you settle in a new living space. It is not only packing that should be eco-friendly. Your relocation is finished the moment you unpack and organize your new living space. Therefore remember to recycle moving supplies you do not need.
Calculate moving costs
No matter if you are doing eco-friendly or regular relocation there will be some moving expenses. Before you decide to hire a professional moving company you need to make the budget. If you are not sure how to calculate overall moving coasts we will gladly help you. The moving company will charge you for:
- The distance of your current living space to your new home. If you are relocating cross-country your moving expenses will be higher than if you are moving a few blocks away.
- Weight of your moving boxes and furniture. Heavier your boxes are higher the price. Therefore we recommended that you declutter your old home, sell and donate.
- Use of packing services. This is some additional request you might have. However, it comes with a price.
However, if you are planning a green move you won’t have extra expenses for the moving supplies. The moving company specialized in eco-friendly moving will give you some advice on what you can use to pack your belongings for relocation.
What else you can do?
There are some more things you can do to make your relocation environment friendly. In your household, you own a lot of storage, use everything you can to pack for your move. These are our master moving guide tips and tricks to have a green move:
- Use only the cardboard boxes. If you do not have them you can always ask in your nearest convenience store if they might have spare boxes. Keep in mind that the cardboard box can be reused more than four times. However, do not forget to recycle them after your move is finished.
- Reuse old wooden crates. There are some pros and cons of using wooden crates. For example, they can be expensive. However, if you have them already you should use them for packing. Wooden crates are stable and they can help you organize storage.
- Put your books in the suitcase. Books can be heavy, therefore you should put them into a suitcase with rolling wheels. It will be easier to move them.
Eco-friendly packing solutions for your wardrobe
Believe it or not, there are eco-friendly wardrobe packing solutions you need to know. You certainly know how to pack a wardrobe for moving the old fashion way. However, keep in mind these useful tricks.
- Use trash bags. Make sure you use a clean trash bag. You can cover all of your jackets, suits, dresses, etc with trash bags. Moreover, you won’t forget your hangers in the process.
- Borrow suitcases. Ask your friends and family to lend you their suitcases for the move. Just do not forget to return them after.
- Vacuum bags. Vacuum bags are something you should use for your blankets. You can put more than two blankets in one bag, vacuum the air out and it will take up to ten times less storage. Moreover, you can use them in your new apartment to store winter clothes in summer.
- Use your socks as protections of your glasses and smaller figurines. You can put your smaller figurines in your winter socks and that way you will protect them from breaking during the move. However, you also need to label boxes with fragile belongings in them.
Eco-friendly packing solutions to consider – conclusion
There are so many eco-friendly packing solutions to consider. We hope this article helps you decide to have a green move. For more information feel free to contact your moving company. All you need to do is to focus on the environment and everything else will get settled soon. We wish you a successful eco-friendly move.