Are moving quotes negotiable?
Planning for a move takes a lot of time and patience. You have to make sure you are on track, it’s best to have a checklist and get things done slowly but properly. Looking for the right movers and making sure you are not overpaying or paying less for bad service is a dilemma that every person moving has at this time. You must take a very good look at different moving quotes before making any move. Explore your options and see what each price can offer. You’re most likely also wondering are moving quotes negotiable in some cases. Let’s take a look and see!
Determining the moving quote
Many different factors determine the price of your move. Different movers will also offer different prices that they set based on their criteria. Some movers will set the price based on the weight of stuff being moved and others will calculate the moving distance. Of course, local moves and long distance moves will have many different prices. A useful tip would be to use a moving cost checklist so you can break everything down and know what you’re working with.
We said local and long distance moves are quite different as well as their costs. Let’s see what are some factors that determine the local move price:
- The number of movers/workers
- The time it takes to move
- The materials used to move
- The size of the truck
Usually, when the cost of all this is calculated, your moving company will provide you with an hourly rate that you’d pay for your local move. You must keep in mind that, for example, moving on a weekend, at the end of the month, or at the peak of the season will cost you more than moving at other times. Also, a small tip would be to move either early in the morning or later in the evening if you want to avoid extra stress.
Get an idea of your moving cost before moving
There are a few ways you can discuss your moving quotes with moving companies. Some are better and more convenient than others, but let’s see what they are and what they mean.
- Non-binding estimate – This is the “riskiest” type of estimate and the one we least recommend. Why is that? When offered a non-binding estimate, you are telling the mover the weight of your stuff and they provide you with a possible cost. If it so happens that the weight exceeds what you told the movers, the price will change too and this might be inconvenient if you were planning on a budget for your move.
- Binding estimate – This is a much better option and it would be best if you do it together with your movers. You can have them come and weigh your stuff and give you a binding estimate based on that. This means that you will have a set price and if the weight is a bit less, you will still be paying the estimated price.
- Binding not-to-exceed estimate – This might be the most precise option. In this case, you will be offered a quote based on the weight of the stuff, again. But, the major difference is that you will be told in advance how much you’ll have to pay on top of the estimate if your weight exceeds the measured. Also, if the weight is less at the end, you will not be paying the original price but just the shipping.
As you can guess, we recommend you get either a binding estimate or a binding not-to-exceed estimate. You will feel comfortable with your budget and not have any uncalled for expenses on the move day.
So, are moving quotes negotiable?
The simple answer is yes, moving quotes are negotiable. However, there are a few things you should know before negotiating a price with your moving company. Before even getting an estimate or starting to negotiate, make sure the moving company you’re going with is relevant, reputable, and trustworthy. Unfortunately, moving scams happen, and you should be aware of that. Do enough research about all companies that you are getting in touch with and eliminate the ones that seem sketchy.
Now that you have “cleaned through” the list of possible movers you will work with, it’s time to negotiate. The best way to do so is to get estimates from all the companies on your list. Be smart though, make sure you ask about all the services and extra fees that your move might include. Different companies offer different services for the same distance moves so you must have this explained and understood.
Ask about special offers on moving quotes and moving insurance
Make sure you ask the company if they have any special offers at the moment. They will probably let you know about this even without you asking, but you should still do it. Many companies offer special prices at different times, holidays, etc. Maybe today is your lucky day and you land yourself a good deal.
It’s very important that you are determined about the services you need. Every company will take a client who has done their homework more seriously and negotiate with them in more detail. You should know what you are looking for and find a company that matches your goal. Other than the best deal on moving, you want to get the best moving insurance too. Make sure you discuss the insurance with your moving company.
You must realize the moving company is as invested in your move as you are. Don’t be shy or feel rude if you ask questions about the quote. You can’t lose anything, the worst thing they can say is no. And then you can try again. If you’re still not sure and wondering are moving quotes negotiable, Master Moving Guide says – yes they are. Good luck with getting the best deal out there!